Vermont's Gateway To Backcountry Skiing And Riding


The Catamount Trail passes through both privately owned and public land so regulations regarding camping vary.  Our Winter Camping Guide serves as a starting point for identifying sites and planning your trip.  For more help, call the CTA office 802-864-5794 in advance of your trip.  


Private Land:
Skiers need prior consent from landowners to camp on private land.  If you camp without prior consent or do not follow the landowner’s instructions, you may jeopardize the status of the Catamount Trail on their property.


State Land:
State campgrounds are closed in the winter, however primitive camping is allowed in designated areas.  To find out where these designated areas are, contact the VT Department of Forests, Parks, and Recreation in Waterbury, Vermont (802-241-3693). 

Within the designated areas, guidelines for primitive camping include:

  • camp below 2500’ elevation;
  • camp at least 100 feet from any stream or body of water, 200 feet from any trail or property line, and 1000 feet from any road;
  • camp for no more than three consecutive nights in the same area;
  • use only dead and down trees or branches for firewood;
  • follow “leave no trace” camping practices.


Federal Land:
Green Mountain National Forest campgrounds are closed in winter, however you may primitive camp anywhere within the GMNF as long as your campsite is 200 feet from trails, roads, and water. Follow “leave no trace” camping practices.  For more information contact: Forest Supervisor, Green Mountain National Forest, 231 North Main St., Rutland, VT 05701.  Phone: 802-747-6700


Permits and Group Use:
On private land, commercially guided groups must seek permission from the landowner to use the Catamount Trail.  On state land, a commercial permit is required for groups if the event: involves a fee (or donation) to participate, is organized or publicized, could conflict with other established uses, or alters the site in any way.  There is a fee for permits.  To obtain a permit application, contact: VT ANR Lands Director, VT Dept. of Forests, Parks, & Recreation, 103 South Main Street, Building 10 South, Waterbury, VT 05671-0601.  Phone:  802-241-3693.

On federal land (GMNF), an outfitter-guide permit is required if the event charges a fee above basic trip expenses; the leader is paid; a fee is charged for use of rental of equipment; or if any plants, animals, artifacts, or other items will be collected.  To obtain an outfitter-guide permit application, contact the GMNF at the above address and phone number.